Thursday, July 11, 2013

Big or Small?

I was just thinking of a friend... At least I think she'll allow me to deem her as a friend! ha!  She is a, let's say, pastor's wife (but really much, much more) ministry position far away from my little City but she was passing through not that long ago and got a chance to speak honestly ... She was just thanking people really and expressing her appreciation for notes she received etc. and she was saying how much those little things help get her through a rough patch or hard day... And she was honest to say, even in ministry, there are lots of those rough times and bad days she was also quick to encourage herself and us in the power of the AWESOME God we serve!  Still, there were tears in her eyes and a tired expression on her face, and not just "jet lag" tired...

The reason I was thinking of her recently was because of how little I think she knows she is appreciated!  I know I've never expressed my thoughts toward her and how sad is that!  Allow me to just tell you, this woman is so inspirational... Like me, she comes from humble beginnings but she has done so much for God's kingdom with her life!  She has accomplished a degree in a career she uses for God!  She is a beautiful person inside and out, seriously, I know people say that a lot but she is!  She is a great mama... She always worships through the bad time, and let me tell you, seeing that from someone you know just a little of their life difficulties is so inspirational!  She is real and not afraid to laugh and have fun, you know a Christian who is still human, haha! (I'll admit it, I love to be silly so I really appreciate that last characteristic!) She based her life around allowing room for God to use her and I love that!  I love it because it allows me to see that is still okay to do in a world that pushes us toward only caring about ourselves every day... I love it because it gives me hope that I will end up actually doing something amazing for God someday and that's really all I've ever wanted..

I love seeing someone used of God in such a great capacity is still "human" and still used by God because that means I can be too. I love that in spite of tears and weariness she cares enough for others to try to lift them up because isn't that what life is about anyway!? And we can and should all learn to follow her example... Which sounds an awful lot like what I was trying to say in last week's post and many others..  I love that part of her "big ministry" is still to just be kind and encourage others because really, isn't that "big" too? Can we really do anything for God if we are not kind and encouraging to EVERYONE who comes in contact with us!?  I'll help you out here, NO! Love God, love people! It's the second commandment, to love others! And Jesus said the most important commandment is to love Him but that second is like it, meaning just as important! In fact, in another scripture says if you don't love the people you can see you cannot love a God you can't see! How's that for convicting!? (It is for me!) And in that love for other please express your gratitude and appreciation for the people who pour into you, even without knowing they do... Those people may even be the best ones to appreciate!

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart,
all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  
A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 
The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
Matthew 22:37-40 (NLT)
 
If anyone boasts, “I love God,” and goes right on hating his brother or sister,
thinking nothing of it, he is a liar.
If he won’t love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can’t see?
The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You’ve got to love both. 1 John 4:20-21 (MSG)
 
 

No comments: