Thursday, April 5, 2012

More than a Feeling

Okay, first of all... I love old music and Boston's "More than a Feeling" is one I grew up hearing with my dad! So I thought I would share it with you guys! You're welcome!

And now onto my actual thoughts for today! Have you ever had that feeling? You know, just a little voice inside telling you to do something... Not kill anyone or that the aliens are coming to get you, haha! A voice that tells you to pick up a card for a friend.. To send an e-mail just to say "Hi! How are you? I've been thinking about you a lot lately, hope all is well!" Or even, "Pray for them..." I'm sure you have felt those moments of impression. Call it what you will "a feeling," "providence," "premonition," "psychic instance" or "God" the real questions are: is it "more than a feeling?" And what will you do with it?

So many times I've had a feeling about something and ignored it, pushed it aside repeatedly until I forgot about it completely or come up with some excuse as to why I couldn't put action behind it.  But what if there is something to those feelings we all experience? What if someone is truly needing us to act? What if instead of making a difference we continue to make excuses? What if it really is "more than a feeling?"

I've been fortunate enough to at least, on several occasions, admit at a later date my reluctance to follow through on a feeling to call a friend, send that card or pray.  I found out after telling people "hey, I was going to send you an e-mail a couple of days ago, just couldn't get you off my mind..." or "I really felt to pray with you the other night but I wasn't sure I should..." I should have. In each and every situation where I "had a feeling" whether I did follow through with action or not I later found out that feeling was right, I should have done something.  Of course, when there is no follow through and you later find out you could have really made a positive impact on someone it's not all that pleasant but at least you know you were right in the feeling... Right? See, the thing is I've never really learned my lesson... No matter how many times I have a feeling with no follow through only to later find out I should have followed through, the next time I "get a feeling" I find another... No, actually I find the same old excuse as last time and do nothing again.  Albert Einstein said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" so then why have I not changed what I am in this case not doing? Simple... Fear and pride.

I'm afraid the person on the receiving end of my follow through on a feeling may not "get it." My pride holds me back from saying "I just felt I should pray with you" because what if I'm wrong? What if that person doesn't feel any need for prayer, an e-mail, a card or whatever it is?  But there is another way of looking at it... Really, what if I am wrong? If I was the person receiving that card in the mail, e-mail, prayer, etc. that I didn't feel I needed would I be offended? Would I think "hey pal, you're a moron! How dare you ask me how I'm doing."? If someone told me they were thinking about me and hoped everything was going well with me would I come back with "Yeh, well, there's no need to think about me. In fact, please refrain from thought of me or care of how I am doing all together... Things go well for me without your 'feelings thank you very much.'" OF COURSE NOT, and you wouldn't have a poor reaction either... 

So what's my point? I do have personal evidence of situations where I should have done something I was feeling to do for someone... I know for sure that sometimes that unspoken word of encouragement would have helped someone get through their bad day a bit easier had it been voiced.. And the prayer I felt to pray for someone would have been not only received well but received as an answer to a wish for knowing God cared... I also know that my fears and thoughts of injured pride are irrational because people don't (usually) react poorly to someone trying to show their care and concern. If I know that by having no follow through on a feeling I could cause harm or at the least refuse help I need to get some follow through in my life and so do you! It's "more than a feeling!" 

Lastly, here is the video that got me thinking and inspired me to write this blog in the first place: a man who realized it's "more than a feeling" and did act in spite of fear and pride, risking not only his pride but his career: 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice SueLing. Love you and your writing.